Monday, January 22, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 4 Invite to Dinner

Week 4's challenge is to write about who you would "Invite to Dinner". It's a difficult choice to consider.  There are my beloved grandparents, my parents,  and my two brothers to consider. How wonderful it would be to sit down with any of them for a meal again.  And then there are those ancestors who I never knew that I have some brick walls that would be wonderful to solve.  But the one person who keeps coming to mind for me that I would like to invite to dinner is my Aunt Gen.

Genevieve Elizabeth Murphy was my great-aunt, sister to my grandfather.  And
keeper of the family secrets.  As I got to be an adult, we often had long phone conversations late at night, when my baby was sleeping and my husband was working second shift.  She shared many, many family stories.  Of course, at the time, while I found them interesting, I didn't record them.

Aunt Gen was born in 1903 in Peoria, Illinois.  She lived with her parents until she married in 1952 at the age of 48.  So living with her parents all those years meant that Genevieve knew well all the Murphy history.  And she was a great (interesting) gossip who always seemed to know everything about everyone. That's why I would chose to invite Aunt Gen to dinner one more time.  I have to admit, I would also love to see her and spend an evening with her.

We would have a grand time going over all the old Murphy stories and she could answer so many questions about the family that I can't seem to solve.  Why, why didn't I ask the questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment