Monday, January 29, 2018

#52Ancestors-Week 5 In the Census

For Week 5 of #52Ancestors the prompt is "In the Census".  This could apply to many things, but what came to mind first was the 1850 Census for Allen Adamson and his family that remained elusive to me for a long time.

Allen Adamson was my third great-uncle, brother to my great-great grandfather, Aaron Adamson.  Allen and Aaron had both married in Edwards County, Illinois in 1835. Allen and his family were still listed in Edwards County, Illinois in the 1840 Census, but were not found in the 1850 Census.  I found him in the 1860 Census in Crittenden County, Kentucky living with his father.

As I continued to research his family, I learned that from 1842 through 1857 his children were born in Missouri.  His wife's parents had moved from Edwards County, Illinois to Texas County, Missouri sometime between 1840 and 1850. Allen's wife, Elizabeth, died around 1857 in Missouri. Estate records for Elizabeth's death and Guardian records for her children were located in Texas County, Missouri, and were recorded in 1858.

But I could not find the family in the 1850 Census records.  I searched manually, page by page through the 1850 Texas County Missouri Census records.  Nothing.  Eventually, I learned that one of Allen and Elizabeth's daughters was born in 1852 in Crawford County, Missouri.

I searched and searched the 1850 Census in Crawford County and couldn't find the family.  Eventually, I again did a page by page search and finally found the following:

Name: A Adsun
Age: 45
Birth Year: abt 1805
Birthplace: Tennessee
Home in 1850: District 24, Crawford, Missouri, USA
Gender: Male
Family Number: 765
Household Members
NameAge
A Adsun45
E Adsun36
T Adsun14
N J Adsun12
William Adsun10
S A Adsun8
A Adsun6
J W Adsun5
J Adsun4
R Adsun3

So, "Adsun" was the name listed for "Adamson".  Close enough, huh? Believe me, it was a matter of high celebration in this household when I finally located this family in their 1850 household! I wish that I could learn more about why they were in Crawford County, and when they made the move to Texas County!

No comments:

Post a Comment